The adhesives available in the market are of two types, the solvent based and the water based adhesives. The adhesives that have solvent as the base liquid are solvent adhesives. The adhesives that have water as the base liquid are the water based acrylic adhesives. The water based adhesives are best used in the packaging and general construction industries. They work best on paper products, labels, cardboards and other similar products. If your require adhesives other than the purposes mentioned, you can opt for solvent based adhesives.
You can find various types of water based adhesives in the market. Based on your requirement, you can choose the relevant adhesive. Water based adhesives are ideal for situations where the requirement of adhesion is not for too long.
We have done the research and have compiled a list of the best water based acrylic adhesives. These adhesives have been reviewed on the basis of their performance, quality, adhesion quality and price. You can choose the relevant adhesive after perusing through the user reviews and expert ratings.
Scored 4.9/5.0 – From 16 Customer Reviews
Priced From $6.45
- Possesses both bonding and sealing capabilities
- Mold and mildew resistant and scrub resistant seal
- Watertight formula
- Paintable bond
- Easy to use, water clean up
It took about a tube and a half of this to clean up my shower stall. Very happy with it. It dries quickly, so be sure to not wait more than a minute or two tops to wet your finger and smooth it out. I also used a paper towel to wipe the excess caulk off my finger between wipes, and the process worked really well. I suggest taping the outline for your caulk lines ahead of time, as I tried it with and without taping prior to application, and the extra time it took to tape was well worth it, both in the end result looking good and in zero frustration working with the caulk.I also tried the method of spraying it with glass cleaner after applying it, and I felt it made the caulk dry too quickly and difficult to smooth, so I suggest sticking with a bucket of warm water and wet finger for smoothing the product.I believe this caulk may harden more than some others out there.I used it to caulk where the shower stall liner met the ceramic tiles.
Scored 5.0/5.0 – From 3 Customer Reviews
Priced From $32.02
- An acrylic adhesive with an extended open time for bonding metal leaf to a variety of interior surfaces
- Ideal for furniture, plaster moulding, picture frames, and decorative features
- Easy to apply, water based, water cleanup, low odor
- Covers 66 – 160 square feet per quart
- Quart (32-Ounce)
Scored 4.7/5.0 – From 44 Customer Reviews
Priced From $14.00
I had used Weld-on 3 in industrial settings for assembling acrylic boxes and found that Weld-on 4 is just as good. The adhesive creates a bond that is actually stronger than the parent material. If you stress a joint bonded with this it will not break at the joint, the material near it will fail first. Few glues can claim such strength. Weld-on 4 is the slower curing version of Weld-on 3, I used it to repair the dust cover on an old turntable and I needed the extra tack time to make sure the pieces were positioned accurately. I considered super glue (cyanoacrylate) but it was not a good choice for acrylic because it has poor flex and shear strength, plus it discolors the material badly, with Weld-on 4 I only noted minimal “fogging”, and only right at the bonded joint. Be aware that this product has low viscosity so application with a syringe or other method to control dispensing is advised. Excellent product!
Tape King Clear Packing Tape – 60 Yards Per Roll (Pack of 6 Rolls) – Stronger & Thicker 2.7mil, Heavy Duty Adhesive Industrial Depot Tapes for Moving Packaging Shipping, Office & Storage
Scored 4.5/5.0 – From 130 Customer Reviews
Priced From $9.99
- ULTRA ADHESIVE & 10x STRONGER: Get optimal results with this super adhesive, EXTREMELY DURABLE clear tape. Tape King tape is 10 times stronger than any other, regular tape. No matter what you are up to, this excellent quality packing tape promises to get the work done the right way. We all know how ugly and disappointing a bad taping job can be, but with this extra strong, multipurpose depot tape, box packing and storage becomes a breeze.
- GET MORE PRODUCT FOR LESS: 60 Yards per roll. This packing clear tape offers you MORE TAPE PER ROLL at a FRACTION OF THE COST of similar products. Why spend tons of money when you can get a total of 360 yards in a package of 6 rolls. With each roll having a good 60 yards of extra adhesive tape, this heavy duty depot tape is a true value for money offer.
- SUPER CLEAR & NO YELLOWING: Forget about that nasty yellowing that low quality tapes have. When you use this packing clear tape you experience the beauty of PERFECT, EFFICIENT and EASY TAPING that promises MAXIMUM SEALING and PROTECTION for your goods as well as an AESTHETICALLY PLEASING result.
- MULTIPURPOSE PACKAGING TAPE: Tape King is a carton sealing tape that can be used for home removals, shipping and mailing, for storing and organizing household items, but also for anything that one expects from a household multipurpose tape. This moving and packing tape will always come in handy.
- STANDARD SIZE FITS ALL: Confused about all the measurements? The dimension of this tape measures at 2 Inch Width x 60 Yards Length or (50mm x 55m). The diameter inside the core is 3”. Our tape is perfect of everyday use with a tape dispenser or cut with scissors.
In my experience with packing boxes, there is cheap tape, good tape, and not-worth-the-money-expensive-premium-tape – these “tape king” rolls are the good stuff. It’s thick enough that it doesn’t rip to shreds vertically like the cheap stuff, and if you peel carefully you can get a very clear result. I’ll probably get another batch when I run out. For what it’s worth I paid full price and found this stuff on my own. Only mentioning that because a different brand I purchased first (and subsequently returned) turned out to be filled with “paid reviews”.
>> Read More Reviews On Tape King Clear Packing Tape – 60 Yards Per Roll (Pack of 6 Rolls) – Stronger & Thicker 2.7mil, Heavy Duty Adhesive Industrial Depot Tapes for Moving Packaging Shipping, Office & Storage Here <<
Scored 4.4/5.0 – From 66 Customer Reviews
Priced From $4.99
- Tough – 2x stronger and 60x more flex than polyurethane
- Non-flammable once cured, temperature resistant – unaffected by extreme heat or cold once cured
- Chemical resistant – safe for applications exposed to dilute acids and dilute caustics
- Waterproof – can be submerged in fresh and salt water after complete cure
- Paintable – paint to match surrounding area to make uv-resistant, flexible – excellent for bonding items subject to vibration
- Industrial strength, non-flammable adhesive that provides versatility not found in silicones and rubber cements
- Safe for applications exposed to dilute acids and dilute caustics
- Maintains a flexible bond in cold temperatures
and may be used to bond items subject to vibration
- Exceptional adhesion to wood, metal, glass, fiberglass, ceramics, masonry and concrete
- Made in the USA
This product holds extremely well. It dries in about 24 hours but takes 72 for it to cure. I used it on something that later on was accidently broken. I wanted to salvage the piece so I managed to chip off the broken piece so that just the rim of the vase was all that was left attached to what it was glued too. At that point I was able to use Goo Gone inside the rim and outside the rim. After letting it soak a day in the Goof Off the E600 softened to a gel. Then I was able to remove the broken rim from the base. Another piece that was accidently broken did not break as the first piece allowing me to get the Goo Gone on both side of glued item which prevented me from removing the part that had been glued. I’ve only been it about 7 months and it hasn’t yellowed.
Scored 4.5/5.0 – From 61 Customer Reviews
Priced From $4.32
I purchased Weld-On 4 adhesive and the Weld-On applicator bottle with needle to fabricate a three piece, channel-shaped guard for a cross cut sled I built for my table saw (see William Ng video on YouTube for detail). The needle applicator allowed application of the adhesive to the joints with absolutely no slop onto the clear acrylic resulting in a professional-looking guard. This is the first time that I have been able to successfully weld plastic without messy, melted joints. The entire welding process for two 20″ long joints took about 2 minutes. I have since made a dado sled, and fabricated its acrylic guard using the Weld-On adhesive and applicator bottle with needle with the same professional-looking, trouble-free results.
Scored 4.5/5.0 – From 44 Customer Reviews
Priced From $3.00
- Easy to use
- Easy clean up with soap and water
- Perfect for kids
- Even dry this glue washes out of clothes
- Water based-non-toxic
Love mod podge is a great product for all different ideas and crafts. My son has recently used mod podge to redo goose decoys that are over twenty to thirty years old. He reprinted them and used this over top of it to help protect the paint when they are sat in the field or even the water while hunting. It worked prefect and he did a amazing job in doing it. He is teen and for the job he did I couldn’t have done better. I was very impressed with it. Will try to see if I can post pictures of it once all are done and dried. I will be a mod podge buyer for life that’s for sure. Have never come across a product they make that doesn’t preform to exactly what I had hoped for. Usually it’s over what I had hoped for. As a artist and crafter I can not complain about a single thing about this company or products. Also I will be back to buy more we use them in all different art projects we do. I owe quite a few of different ones and still have a few others I want also. Highly recommend these products.
Scored 4.7/5.0 – From 171 Customer Reviews
Priced From $4.79
- Keeps the weather where it belongs – outside: Moves when your home moves to create a permanently waterproof and weatherproof seal.
- Helps you avoid repeated repairs: Just say no to brittle, cracked caulking. Stays soft and elastic over time for a years-long, lasting seal.
- Sticks, even to difficult surfaces: Compatible with a wide variety of building materials, including difficult ones like vinyl windows and siding. No need to search for a product specific to every different surface.
- Professional-looking results every time: The smooth formula is easy to apply, even for a novice.
- Paintable: Paint adheres like a pro, so go ahead and paint your wall bright blue. Also available in 12 colors and clear, in case you don’t want to paint it.
- Easy to use: Easy to smooth and clean-up with water. No special chemicals required.
- OK to leave in your unheated garage overnight: Freeze-thaw stable through 10 cycles.
I first learned of Big Stretch in the instructional YouTube painting videos by Russ Olinatz. When he said he used Big Stretch caulk, I didn’t think much of it–caulk is caulk, right? That “Alex” brand stuff I buy from Home Depot seemed to be okay, so I never thought twice about caulk.Then a dry heat wave hit Los Angles early this summer and every molecule of moisture was sucked out of the air. After a week of that dry heat, the new MDF baseboards I had recently installed (and even back primed!) and caulked shrank about 1/4″ on each wall. I stared at disbelief at the 1/8″+ gaps in each corner. The caulk I had used simply peeled away or split, leaving a big ugly space between the two pieces of baseboard.Only then did the light bulb go off–and now I know why Russ uses Big Stretch. Strangely, the product is not sold at any of the big box stores, so after several minutes of searching on Amazon, where it was also difficult to locate, I finally found a few tubes of it and ordered it. I’ve subsequently seen it at the local pro Benjamin Moore paint store, so I now have a backup source.Anyway, I will now only use Big Stretch for projects where I need paintable caulk, and will no longer buy the stuff from the local home improvement stores. Big Stretch applies easily, beads easily and smoothly, and seems to work well.I haven’t had another dry heat wave yet, so I haven’t seen first hand how much it can stretch to cover and prevent gaps, but Russ Olinatz is “The Man” when it comes to detailed professional painting, so I will take his word for it.
Scored 4.4/5.0 – From 82 Customer Reviews
Priced From $6.70
When I first got this, I thought they sent me the wrong thing because the label is different than what is pictured. But then I realized it still says Weld-On, just in tiny print, so they must have changed the label.Also, when you first take off the screw-on lid, you’ll see a metal piece covering the liquid. When I bought this in the past, there were no instructions on how to remove the metal separator, so I tried to get it off with pliers and ended up bending the mouth of the jar. But now it actually says ‘cut this out’ on the metal, so I took some metal cutters and made a hole big enough to get my hobby syringe in.Just be aware: this is a fast setting solvent. The old label pictured doesn’t say it, but the new label does.If you’ve never worked with an acrylic solvent before, this is the consistency of water. It is meant to be used in a certain way, NOT like you’d use regular glue. Here’s a YouTube video on how to work with plastic solvents: [..]
Packing Tape SealMax By TOTALPACK – Heavy Duty, Adhesive Acrylic Base Sticks On Any Surface – 2 Mil Thickness – 2 inches x 110 Yards – Meets All UPS & US Postal Regulations, Red Colored Tape, 1 Roll
Scored 3.9/5.0 – From 88 Customer Reviews
Priced From $5.75
- INCOMPARABLY DURABLE MATERIAL: Featuring a strong, water based, adhesive acrylic base, a 2mil thickness and a 2 inches x 110 yards. size, this red packing tape roll is bound to meet all your demands. It can endure humidity and heat as it features an astounding 0°F to 140°F application range! Last but not least, it is made in the USA and it is a high quality packing supply.
- SAFE, LONG-LASTING, FLAWLESS PACKAGING: Forget about flimsy, cheaply made packaging tapes once and for all! The TOTALPACK box tape is extremely sturdy and it features a long shelf life. It does not turn yellow over time, keeping your storing boxes looking great. Last but not least, it meets all the UPS, FedEx and US postal regulations.
- IDEAL FOR ALL TYPES OF SURFACES: This top notch, storage and shipping box tape can firmly stick onto any surface! No matter if it is paper, metal, plastic, ceramic or porcelain, this reinforced packing tape will serve your needs, helping you keep your things perfectly and safely stored.
- WIDE VARIETY OF DIFFERENT COLORS: Apart from the most popular, Red packing tape, TOTALPACK provides you with 6 more amazing color options. Pick the blue, green, orange, yellow, tan or clear colored tape and pack your belongings in style!
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE: Providing you with the friendliest customer service is our number one goal. This is why we offer you a 30 day money back guarantee in case this heavy duty packaging and moving tape does not live up to your expectations.
I’m just going by the fact that I don’t have to think about the quality of this packing tape when I’m using it. Some of the cheaper tape will tear partway across its width, which is then a pain to get the whole width properly dispensing. Some tape doesn’t seem to want to stay up on the guide of the tape dispenser, so you have to figure out where it is on the roll to lift it up and get it started again, much like the previous aggravation that I tried to describe.Some tape is phenomenal, but just stupidly expensive for its given purpose, IMO. That said, this tape isn’t really that far behind the most premium/expensive stuff that I’ve used.Bottom line is what I originally said – I use this tape, but never consciously am aware of any aggravations – it works great on my dispenser, doesn’t tear when it shouldn’t, stays put on boxes, isn’t too thin, and isn’t some expensive roll that’s only like 20 feet, and needs to be replaced after shipping just a dozen packages or so…
>> Read More Reviews On Packing Tape SealMax By TOTALPACK – Heavy Duty, Adhesive Acrylic Base Sticks On Any Surface – 2 Mil Thickness – 2 inches x 110 Yards – Meets All UPS & US Postal Regulations, Red Colored Tape, 1 Roll Here <<
The choice of adhesive would depend on the type of material that you wish to stick or bond together. If you wish to use the adhesive on plastic, vinyl or any other such material, the solvent based adhesive would be ideal. For other purposes like paper, cardboard, labels and other similar products, water based adhesives work best.
We hope that you found our review of the best water based acrylic adhesive useful and informative. Were you able to find the relevant adhesive for your use? Are there any other favorites in your list? Do let us know as your comments and responses would be helpful for other readers.
You can send in your suggestions and experiences using the comments section below.