When a metal sheet or piece is being cut by a metal cutting tool, a lot of heat is generated. Continuous exposure to this kind of heat can damage the cutting equipment and deform the piece or metal being cut. Therefore, the need is to continuously cool both the work piece and the cutting tool.
There are different types of cutting fluids and they include semi synthetics, synthetics and soluble oils. Each of these fluids has its pros and cons and are therefore, chosen when required. The choice of the cutting fluid depends on factors that include the material that is being machined, the speed of the machining, type of metal cutting operation and the type of cutting tool used.
We conducted the research for you and have compiled a list of the best water soluble cutting fluids available. You can choose the appropriate cutting fluid or oil after reading through our review and the pros and cons of each of these fluids with regard to assisting in metal cutting. It is very important that you take good care of the fluids chosen for the safety aspects.
Scored 4.2/5.0 – From 25 Customer Reviews
Priced From $23.74
I’m new to milling but modified my Sherline 2000 with a coolant system because folks on forums said it would extend the life of my bits and machine as well as make the cuts smoother. I also saw that bigger pro mills use it so it must be the way to go. I had no idea what to expect from a cutting fluid and this was the first fluid I’ve ever bought. I was super careful at first, mixing it to exact ratios (8:1) with rubber gloves and safety glasses. But now, after going through a whole gallon, I just mix it with approximate ratio and get it all over my hands and arms. I thought it was causing skin irritation at first, but that was just in my head. It does sting a little if some splashes in my eye. I just rinse well with fresh water and back to work. I’m buying a second gallon after running my new mill for about 30 hours. I have no idea where nine gallons has gone with such a small mill and setup. I think it’s just evaporating. When it does dry, it leaves a very light, tacky-oil residue that’s easy to wipe away. I was afraid that an oil-WATER mixture would rust bare steel, but amazingly it does not. That’s science. When done using the mill I just leave the splash and over-spray. It seems to protect the metal. If I’m not going to cut for several days, I wipe off the dry residue the next day. Anyway, I would never mill without it, so I have no idea if the parts would come out worse without using it. My cuts are all super shiny, even when cutting through 1″ aluminum with an 1/8″ end mill. Running a heavy stream of this coolant keeps the cut path clear so I don’t have to baby sit the mill to blow out the chips or manually squirt some lubricant. I keep some in a spray bottle and mist it on bits when drilling on the press. I used to use WD-40 but the bit and metal gets super hot. Misting it with this, the bit and metal stays damn right cold. I love this product and am ordering another gallon right now. Um, I’ll get two. Running out is the only thing that holds up the work.
Scored 4.6/5.0 – From 71 Customer Reviews
Priced From $9.84
- For use in most machine shop applications, particularly grinding
- Not VOC Compliant for California & OTC
- Stable Emulsion
a little goes a long way. #1 enemy when drilling steel=HEAT. This stuff, properly mixed is mostly water! Good for heat dispersion and removal. Cooler drills cut longer. Oil will lubricate, but it will not properly dissipate HEAT. Drills (good drills) are tool steel. Hard tool steel loses it’s hardness if it gets too hot. Be smart. Use water soluble oil for drilling. It’s good for MORE than drilling, but it’s the BEST for drilling.
Scored 4.1/5.0 – From 24 Customer Reviews
Priced From $7.37
- Replacement for solvent or oil-based cutting fluids
- Works exceptionally well in machine tools containing water-soluble coolants
- Emulsifies with the coolant without causing contamination
- Ideal for ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Greatly extends cutting tool life and decreases the number of tool repairs
I have been using this for years for drilling, cutting and tapping of mild steel. No more smells of burning oil. No more stains on my cloths. Inhibits rust on the tooling as well. I never plan to go back to cutting oil.
Scored 4.7/5.0 – From 2 Customer Reviews
Priced From $11.37
Scored 5.0/5.0 – From 3 Customer Reviews
Priced From $29.73
- Proven to be highly effective in controlling built-up edge (BUE)
- Wide application range – production surface and centerless grinding, heavy-duty broaching, gear hobbing, and replacing straight oil on some types of screw machines
- Leaves a fluid, nongumming film to prevent sticky ways, chucks, tool holders, and fixtures
- Coolant residue is easily removed with either water, working solution, or aqueous cleaners
- Easy recycling or disposal with conventional techniques and equipment
I bought this cutting fluid concentrate to use as a coolant in my metal cutting band saw. I mixed with a 5% ratio and it is great. The main issue is preventing rusting of the saw parts between uses. So far it seems to be working as well as I can expect and the price is also good.
Scored 5.0/5.0 – From 2 Customer Reviews
Priced From $54.80
- Heavy duty water emulsion coolant designed for use in all metal cutting processes; Safe and easy to use and clean up
- Works at lower concentrations, saves on makeup & disposal, Extends sump drain intervals and Reduces worker dermatitis and asthma-related symptoms
- Reduces Friction for Longer Tool Life, Improves Tool Performance and Resists rusting
- Better high temperature cooling with less smoking, Water Washable, Non-flammable and No obnoxious fumes
- Allows for an easier and lower cost disposal and Suitable for the most demanding machine operations – For Industrial or Professional use only
Scored 4.6/5.0 – From 7 Customer Reviews
Priced From $7.64
Scored 4.6/5.0 – From 3 Customer Reviews
Priced From $37.58
- Good sump life in stand-alone machines
- Low odor and mist
- Effective in most grinding, sawing, drilling, and CNC turning and milling operations by varying concentrations
- Provides sufficient lubricity to do down-the-hole operations in aluminum, cast iron, and most steels, including many stainless steels
- Compatible with a very wide range of materials including cast iron, steels, copper, and aluminum alloys as well as most plastics and composites
TRIM Cutting & Grinding Fluids MS585XT/1 MicroSol 585XT Nonchlorinated Semisynthetic Microemulsion Coolant, Extended life, 1 gal Jug
Scored 4.5/5.0 – From 4 Customer Reviews
Priced From $31.27
- Dramatically extends useful life without the need for tank-side biocides or fungicides
- Low foaming for todays demanding high-pressure, high-volume applications
- Compatible with a very wide range of material including cast iron, steels, copper, titanium, and aluminum alloys, and many plastics and composites
- Optimized combination of cooling and lubricity for titanium machining applications
- Provides superior corrosion inhibition on cast iron and eliminates “hot chip” and clinkering problems
Finally the best of both worlds. Over the years I’ve tried a lot of coolants. All of them claimed to have great sump life and great lubricity. Unfortunately none of them were good at both. That was until I tried this coolant. This one really is good at both.
Scored 5.0/5.0 – From 1 Customer Reviews
Priced From $124.80
- Designed to prevent in process rusting of ferrous metals.
- Transparent and non-irritating.
- No cleaning required for painting or plating.
- Can be used for sand blasting or vibratory finishing.
Cutting fluids require special care and handling as they cannot be left unattended owing to safety issues. Therefore, whatever fluid you choose, ensure that it is properly stored, mixed, controlled and applied to the cutting zone and finally disposed.
Several manufacturing processes require water soluble cutting fluids. Your choice of the fluid should depend on your requirement, current industry trend and the prices that suit you.
We hope that you found our review of the best water soluble cutting fluids informative and you were able to choose the best one for your requirement. We would love to know about your opinion in this regard. Send in your responses and suggestions in this regard. You can use the comments section below.